Plankton breeding - starter guide

L'angolo per il fai da te è a vostra disposizione per scambiarvi idee, progetti ed intuizioni
Rispondi
Mihai
Chrysiptera
Chrysiptera

Plankton breeding - starter guide

Messaggio da Mihai » 21/12/2019, 20:42

Hello ,

I am sometimes reading the forum from the shadows (using google translator). Because I doubt the quality of the frozen food I can buy in my area I tried breeding some artemia larva to feed my fish. I was really impressed with the feeding response I got and also noticed the fish started exhibiting more various behavior after feeding. This really peeked my interested not only for the fish but as coral food and in general , boosting the ecosystem of the tank . I looked for information(already read the danireef articles (tx btw) ) but I did not find allot of clear knowledge on the web on how. I noticed that there are some people that breed plankton( both pyto and zoo type) and I am wondering if you can share your knowledge and expertise. I am asking here the why, how ,with what and all the questions to eliminate any wrong assumptions I might have.

1. Why do we use plankton in the reef tank ? What are the benefits ? What about costs?

2.What is the hardware needed and the best culture species for each (pyto and zoo) ? How to best store them ? How to best dose them ?

3. Best practices ? Tips and information newcomers to the subject must know but it is not really obvious?

Thanks ,

Mihai

Davide_m
Zebrasoma
Zebrasoma

Re: Plankton breeding - starter guide

Messaggio da Davide_m » 22/12/2019, 12:21

Hello Mihai,
Welcome here!

@Danireef had translate my articles on phyto and Zoo plankton where I make a dissertation on Your questions.
You can start from this article : the global seas nutrient cycle a better understanding of its application in aquariums
At the bottom, You can find all other articles on the same subject, for a total of 5 articles.
I hope it's useful for You, and do not hesitate to asking.

Apologize for my bad English.

Happy reefing.
dal 01-01-2024 non seguo più le conversazioni-.

Davide.

Mihai
Chrysiptera
Chrysiptera

Messaggio da Mihai » 22/12/2019, 22:33

Hello Davide

Great job writing the articles. I had already read them all before starting the topic. They answer some questions but don't talk about the how , with what , how long type type questions that usually come from practical experience with the topic.

I will try to ask more direct questions but let me first lay out my understanding in case I don't have the correct picture
1) Pyto in the aquarium are in general useful for three things :

- help generate a rich filter feeders biomass(especially sponges) that in turn keep the water clean chemically
- supports the aquarium microfauna which in turn supports the bigger animals and so on
- needed to grow zoo which can then be also added to the tank

My questions here are :
1.What are the 2-3 best pyto species to breed for adding into the tank and feed to breed zoo(considering they have to survive in the tank at least a bit , they will provide food for zoo culture , can be stored alive for a decent time period ,are easy to produce) ?
2.Where to get them ? (in case anyone knows stores with cultures)
3.What is a good fert ?
4.Do I need freshly made salt water or aquarium water is good ? (my understanding is I need freshly made salt water as aquarium water has other organisms that can take over)
5.How to best store them alive ? How to add to the tank ? (in my case 250L tank)
6.What plankton reactor do you recommend ? I am looking at http://www.knepo.de/planktonreaktor_und ... 0-400.html as a decent price quality one .
7.Do I need a specific temperature to grow them successfully ? I have no place in the sump and my house temp is between 22 and 28 C depending on the seasons.
8.The idea is that once in the tank they(pyto) don't die immediately and pollute the water. What species and how to acclimate them so they don't die when I add them? (my understanding is that at a minimum the salinity of the culture must match the one of the aquarium).

2) Zoo

My understanding is that zoo in the aquarium are in general useful for three things :

-Feed the fish with live , nutritious food
- Supply the SPS with additional nutrition
- Supports other bigger fauna like fan worms and clams

My questions here are(same as for pyto) :
1.What are the 2-3 best zoo species to breed for adding into the tank (based on the articles my understanding is that the best bet are Tisbe spp., Tigriopus spp)
2.Where to get them ?
3.How I sustain them ? (only pyto or I can find food powder etc)
4.Do I need freshly made salt water or aquarium water is good ? (my understanding is I need freshly made salt water) .
5.How to best store them alive ? How to add to the tank ? (in my case 250L tank)
6.What plankton reactor do you recommend ? I am looking at http://www.knepo.de/planktonreaktor_und ... 0-400.html as a decent price quality one .
7.Do I need a specific temperature to grow them successfully ? I have no place in the sump and my house temp is between 22 and 28 C depending on the seasons. They don't need light based on my understanding.
8.The idea is that once in the tank they(zoo) don't die immediately and pollute the water . What species and how to acclimate them so they don't die when I add them? (my understanding is that at a minimum the salinity of the culture must match the one of the aquarium).

Currently I am feeding the fish with freshly hatched artemia.

Davide_m
Zebrasoma
Zebrasoma

Messaggio da Davide_m » 23/12/2019, 20:32

Mihai ha scritto:
22/12/2019, 22:33
I will try to ask more direct questions but let me first lay out my understanding in case I don't have the correct picture
1) Pyto in the aquarium are in general useful for three things :

- help generate a rich filter feeders biomass(especially sponges) that in turn keep the water clean chemically (Physically)
- supports the aquarium microfauna which in turn supports the bigger animals and so on
- needed to grow zoo which can then be also added to the tank
Yes that right.
One of first thing You can watch, is a very clear water, because the protein skimmer work at the best!
Mihai ha scritto:
My questions here are :
1.What are the 2-3 best pyto species to breed for adding into the tank and feed to breed zoo(considering they have to survive in the tank at least a bit , they will provide food for zoo culture , can be stored alive for a decent time period ,are easy to produce) ?
Well, the more common species I have available is
Nannochloropsis
Tetraselmis
Isochrysis
These are the most common used for Aquaculture as is for fish or for clams, mussel or any other cultured filter feeders.
Mihai ha scritto:
2.Where to get them ? (in case anyone knows stores with cultures)
I have a store with these products
Where You came from? In Germay are more store with these stuff, for Rotifer or Copepods the live-feeds 90ml bags can also a good starter.
Mihai ha scritto:
3.What is a good fert ?
This is a big question, some are rich in Copper (for green plat) I used my two different formulation a ARD2 or ENW, also in my store
Mihai ha scritto:
4.Do I need freshly made salt water or aquarium water is good ? (my understanding is I need freshly made salt water as aquarium water has other organisms that can take over)
I use only a sterilized RO water with a good natural sea salt
Mihai ha scritto:
Not store in Fridge, but only near and in the same as You breed it.
Mihai ha scritto:
6.What plankton reactor do you recommend ? I am looking at http://www.knepo.de/planktonreaktor_und ... 0-400.html as a decent price quality one
I use only a 5 liters trasparent bottle (for withe wine)
these complex accessories is very complicated to sterilize or to clean from calk
Mihai ha scritto:
7.Do I need a specific temperature to grow them successfully ? I have no place in the sump and my house temp is between 22 and 28 C depending on the seasons.
Your haouse temperature are very well >15<32°C
Mihai ha scritto:
8.The idea is that once in the tank they(pyto) don't die immediately and pollute the water. What species and how to acclimate them so they don't die when I add them? (my understanding is that at a minimum the salinity of the culture must match the one of the aquarium).
Yes that's true, but the problem is on small tank, in 100 liters or more that is very difficult increase the salinity from addition of the phyto. You modify the water chage salinity or replace some liter with RO water.
Mihai ha scritto:
2) Zoo

My understanding is that zoo in the aquarium are in general useful for three things :

- Feed the fish with live , nutritious food
- Supply the SPS with additional nutrition
- Supports other bigger fauna like fan worms and clams, father duster, gorgonian, and many more!
Yes LPS was not help to small zooplankton
Mihai ha scritto:
My questions here are(same as for pyto) :
1.What are the 2-3 best zoo species to breed for adding into the tank (based on the articles my understanding is that the best bet are Tisbe spp., Tigriopus spp)
Yes copepods are the best for fish, but for SPS was rotifer or copepod larval stages (not adult).
Also in my store, but not at the moment!
Mihai ha scritto:
2.Where to get them ?
3.How I sustain them ? (only pyto or I can find food powder etc)
Rotifer feed only with phyto, but copepods can feed with powdwered fish feed, also bacterioplancton as Saccaromyces cerevisae, or aquaculture specific products.
Mihai ha scritto:
4.Do I need freshly made salt water or aquarium water is good ? (my understanding is I need freshly made salt water).
For rotifer directly the rich phyto-water (green-water)
For Copepods the water chamging water is a good thigs because are rich in the bacterioplankton, and then You can add other fine food.
Mihai ha scritto:
Rotifer -> directly from culture bottle, Copepods You can filter the adult with a 350 um sieve
Mihai ha scritto:
For Rotifer a trasparent glass bottle (2-5 liters) copepods in an aquarium from 15Lt or more.
Mihai ha scritto:
7.Do I need a specific temperature to grow them successfully ? I have no place in the sump and my house temp is between 22 and 28 C depending on the seasons. They don't need light based on my understanding.
The temperature in any case was't important
Mihai ha scritto:
8.The idea is that once in the tank they(zoo) don't die immediately and pollute the water . What species and how to acclimate them so they don't die when I add them? (my understanding is that at a minimum the salinity of the culture must match the one of the aquarium).

Currently I am feeding the fish with freshly hatched artemia.
For rotifer the mechanism was as the phyto, the copepods as the artemia, because You can filter it!
Yes, I know the artemia was the most live feeds added to a tank, but they aren't marine, but only from salty continental lake, and if You search on Youutube "Monolake" You can see the lake with bigger artemia, bat there aren't a fish! (isn't a marine fish in the continental lake!)

Davide.

Mihai
Chrysiptera
Chrysiptera

Messaggio da Mihai » 24/12/2019, 12:26

Thanks for the responses and happy holidays .

Davide_m
Zebrasoma
Zebrasoma

Messaggio da Davide_m » 24/12/2019, 13:43

Happy holiday too!

Davide.

Rispondi

Torna a “Fai da Te in acquario - DIY”